As you know from my previous blogging (that is if you are one of my 4 regular readers and if you don't just look at the pictures) that I think that soccer "friendlies" are lame. I mean, seriously, if it doesn't mean anything why play it? What good is a game in the middle of August? What would the men's national team be preparing for, the 2014 World Cup? Next year's Gold Cup? Or is it just a ploy to fill a huge football stadium with fans who can't get enough soccer? Yeah, the US is playing Brazil on Tuesday. I am actually very excited to see my guys play again, I just wish it meant SOMETHING. I wish that the World Cup was still going on. I loved the World Cup. I know that some of my favorite players wont still be playing on the USMNT in 4 years, so it will be fun to watch them next week.
There is not much that my new good friend Richard, from future SVU goalkeeping fame, and I agree on when it comes to soccer, but he is very bright and I am, I guess, easily convinced, because many of his points sound correct after he writes them. He wrote on his blog earlier today that this friendly was poorly scheduled, and I agree, but I am NOT going to complain, cuz I can't wait to see the game, read all the background info, and hope for more insider videos on Studio 90.
Some of the World Cup players play for foreign teams. Actually MOST do, and those European leagues are currently having their pre seasons right now. Some of our guys are fighting for roster spots- Stuart Holden, Oguchi, Davies to name a few. They can't really leave, travel across the ocean, play a meaningless friendly, fly back and expect to be in good standing with their coaches and teammates. Especially Oguchi, who got hurt last time (before the WC) he played for the National team.
There are a few MLS players who wouldn't have to travel quite so far, but their teams NEED them right now. The Galaxy have been losing, they probably want to stop their slide, not give up their best 2 players for even a game. The Earthquakes were hoping their boy Convey would be added to the team, but the team NEEDS him for many reasons, they are fighting for a playoff berth, he is a leader both vocally and with his effort, and he is good. Without him, they are doomed. They should be happy he wasn't added.
I was wondering if Jonathan Bornstein would be on the list. I was hoping he would. I want Studio 90 to do another episode with him preparing sandwiches, but with the correct ingredients this time. I also just like to watch him play and root for him not to mess up. And then I like to go find Bornstein NAYSAYERS on Facebook and Twitter and say to them "see, he's not so bad!". But he has a knee injury and two weeks ago it was announced that he would be out for 2 weeks, so I hope his knee is better and he will be able to play. If he is injured and Bob Bradley put him on the roster knowing that he was injured, I wonder why he would do that. I have a theory----Jonny is such a FUN guy, Bob wants him around the team. He is fun back at the team hotel, playing ping pong, darts, and poker....Bob added him for his personality. Yeah, that's it!
I also wondered about Charlie Davies. He is "back" or so he says, but he is playing on his French team's "B" team and really fighting for a spot on the actual roster. He is not a starter. He needs to do that first. Bob wont take him less than 100 percent fit and more importantly Bob wants him to succeed at the club level, there is where he will improve enough to play in a USA #9 uniform.
I am not SHOCKED, but a tad surprised that Bradley included Robbie Findley, he played terrible. He did get rid of Ricardo Clark, though, probably to save him from the boos he would have surely gotten from the US crowd.
Now that the list of players invited to the camp has been published, I can't wait to hear who the starters are.......hey, Richard, publish your line up idea, and I'll make up one, too.
LOL!
ReplyDeleteSports should never be "friendly."
And what sport but soccer would have friendlies? ;) Do they not fall down and roll around on the ground as much since it is friendly?