I know that everyone can learn from losing, that losing builds character, that not everyone can win, that youth sports are not all about the winning......so I think I need to justify my statements that this is the worst season EVER. I will start with my older team- This season is bad because of the disrespect the players on my team show me. They play where they want to play on the field, doesn't matter where I tell them to go. They don't want to come out when it is there turn to be a sub. They all comment on my coaching decisions, for example when I told Spencer to go in for Daniel, he said, "no, not Daniel". And when I told this one kid Andrew (not my Andrew) to go in for Alex, he said, "I want to go in for Bradley." They can't do that! That is DISRESPECTFUL. At practice they tackle each other, throw balls at each other, and don't participate in the drills I have planned if they don't like them. If they are acting "bad" and I tell them to run to the fence, they either don't go or just walk. I've had a parent from this team comment on my substituting fairness (she thought her son was out too long). I've had a parent tell me that they turned in the fund raiser money (they didn't). I've had a mom come pick her son up from practice at 5:50 (practice is over at 5). I've had practices where only 4 players have showed up and no one called to say they weren't going to be there. The list goes on.....so it is not just the losses which are getting me down. The players don't pass to the kids on the team they don't like. They don't run or try hard if they don't feel like it. They are mean to the not skilled kids. It is just HARD on me, especially after having such a wonderful group of boys last year. Last year the boys loved soccer, respected me, were friends with each other, and were HAPPY to play soccer. That team was amazing. The experience of coaching that team was thrilling. It was a special group of kids! You may say that all kids are special, but the dynamics of this team, this season, are not the same.
Then if you want to hear the facts that makes coaching Andrew's team hard...I will list just a few. I have one "special needs" kid on my team. (I had a different one last year.) I know this kid from school. He has a FULL TIME aide. At soccer, I have to deal with him and the whole rest of the team ALL BY MYSELF, and I am not specially trained and it's hard. I also have another player who could also be classified in this same category, but not as severe. Of the 13 players, 6 of them have never played soccer before. Of the 13 players 5 of them are as skinny and frail as you could ever possibly imagine, a strong wind would blow them away or the other team could tap them and they might break.....really fragile, not athletic kids. I think I only have 4 players who can actually KICK a soccer ball, a kick that will go further than just roll off their foot, like the other 9, who have no strength, power, or technique. This team is LOUSY. I've tried ALL the practice drills, pep talks, games I know to teach them soccer and skills.......then on Saturdays, game days, they go back to the bunch ball swarming style of play that the 5 year olds play. And then we get beat. The boys are nice, so I guess that's a positive, but add this experience to the experience I am having with my older team.....add that we have 2 practices for each team a week, plus games.....and my whole week is filled with the game I love, but I'm not loving it right now!
Well all I can say is that you wouldn't recognize the bad if you didn't have the good last year?????
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the teams. Do you think the older one is just the boys or do you think that that is the way kids are acting these days. I am tired of rudeness too and I don't like to always be the bad guy pointing it out. I feel like I am not allowing "a kid to be a kid". I think coaches and adults in general are not getting the respect they deserve these days.
Having witnessed the older team in action...all I can say is that you described it perfectly. Fixing the situation is near impossible..and you have tried many different ways. My thought was that if the player is rude or disrespectful then they dont play in the game...but really about 10 boys would be sitting out. I am so sorry this season is so miserable.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a really difficult team! Well, now you can tell them that they are reaping the rewards of their hard (cough, cough) work! ;)
ReplyDeleteI was just telling a mom at Kenzies game on Saturday, that they say the teams are chosen random, but how is it all the kids seem to have the same personality? Kenzies team works really hard together, but they are so not aggressive. They kick the ball down the field, but don't run after it and wait for the other team to kick it back at them. Their coach probably feels like you, because I know they work on it at practice. It probably is a little different with girls when they have a woman coach, cuz last week I heard her say to a girl-"Are you giving me 'ttude?" (like attitude), not rude, but the girl got in her spot! Good Luck!
ReplyDelete