2/2/14

between games

After the first game, we had a 3 hour break until the next game.  Most of the boys wanted Chipotle.  One of the dad's knew how to get to a close one, so we followed him along with another family following us.  When we arrived at the Chipotle, it was 1:00.  I guess that's prime lunch time for a Saturday in Redding because there was not one parking space in the lot and the line was OUT THE DOOR.  We talked it over and two of the boys wanted to stay there, but the other family, Bradley, and I decided to go to pizza.  They knew of an off the beaten path, family owned delicious pizza place nearby.  We followed them.  Yeah, we would have NEVER found it without them leading the way.  The pizza was well priced (cheap) and very good.  The people there were all nice.  We had a great time eating with Bradley's teammate Nick, his mom, and his dad.  Nick and Bradley have the same birthday.  They play the same position.  They both WANT to be the point guard.  And they have VERY similar personalities.  Nick's parents are very nice, too.  We had fun. 
We then decided to go to Ross (kinda a tradition when we go out of town but also, Bradley brought his skateboard, but not his skate shoes.  Ross is the best place to get low priced shoes.  Skaters wear shoes out in about 3 weeks, so no need to buy expensive ones.)  On the way out of the pizza place we saw a cop.  Then while on a 3 lane one way road, Bradley saw a Skate Shop with huge sale signs.  There was no way I could pull over, but he wanted to go there, so he jumped out of the car and I went to park. Right when he ran in front of my car, then in front of the car next to me, a cop 2 cars behind us put on his light and pulled into the motel next door.  I thought FOR SURE he was going to site Bradley for some type of jay walking!!!!!  I parked (in another motel parking lot with huge "unauthorized cars WILL BE towed")....and went to see what kind of citation/ticket Bradley was going to get.  I went into the skate store and at first couldn't find Bradley.  I thought maybe the cops took him somewhere.  Then I saw him in the back, by the shoes!  No cops!!!  When we left the store, a motorcycle cop was sitting outside the motel, on his bike, looking around.  Thought he may have been called in to bust us.  Bradley was wearing his basketball shorts and warm up shirt that clearly said "Guymon" on the back, Bidwell on the front.  No hiding!  We walked to the car.  Then hurried away because we really were unauthorized to be there.  I pulled into the street, turned the corner, and was coming to the first intersection, when LOUD sirens SCARED US TO DEATH!!!!  I looked immediately into my rear view mirror, KNOWING I was getting pulled over!  HEART POUNDING!!!!!!!!!  SO SCARED!!!!!  I wasn't sure if it was for the jay walking/street crossing or the parking at the motel, but I KNEW I WAS BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!  Out of the corner of my eye, when I first heard the siren, I saw Bradley JUMP, too!  Oh MAN!!!!
But, it was an ambulance, an ambulance on the cross street in front of us, going away from us.  No cops were behind us at all. 
Felt so relieved. 
Found a Ross.  And for the FIRST TIME EVER we bought two things for Andrew and NOTHING for Bradley. 
Then went back to the middle school where the basketball was taking place.
Bradley got out his skate board because the school had all kinds of awesome places to skate.  We also had another hour or so to kill before the next game.

 We found a few of Bradley's teammates, a few of the "B" team players, a couple of friends, and a couple of siblings playing basketball on one of the outdoor courts. 
Bradley is on the skateboard, skating toward the basketball courts.
Bradley joined in.  The kids were just messing around, it wasn't a grudge match or hard fought game.  I enjoyed watching the kids all interact and was happy that there was no "A" team/"B" team mentality, they all got along great and were all having fun. 


Then the coach arrived and immediately joined the game.  Lots of smack talking and joking going on. 


Bradley hates my basketball photographs.  They are always out of focus.  He says that I'm a bad photographer.  I try to tell him it's the lighting in the gym.  One of the reasons I took these outdoor pictures was to show him that in sunlight, I can actually shoot good basketball pictures!  Look-

They were trying all their trick shots, behind the back show off passes, weird dribbling....having a blast. 


This little brother was right in there, trying to be a player like the rest.  The funniest thing was when the kids wanted him to pass, he kinda hogged the ball.  Then one of them said, "Pass it to me, I'll be your best friend."   Haha.  That only works on little kids.  "I'll be your best friend!" 

Then Bradley went back to his skating.  When the coaches saw him, they freaked out a little and warned him to BE CAREFUL, he had an important game to play in a half hour! 
Just like last week's tail gate party, I really enjoyed the in between games time with everyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE leave comments!!!!!