10/8/12

USMNT

I can't even get my fairly talented under 10 team to beat the worst team in the league, so I am probably not one to criticize another coach, but if I got to PICK MY OWN team, I think I could do a pretty good job of winning games.  The coach of the United States Mens National Team gets to choose from all the athletes in the entire United States to make up his team.  (He could put Tyreke Evans mom in the goal or even Dwight Howard.)  (it might be breaking the rules, putting in a woman, but that's an inside joke that I think a few of my family members would laugh at!) 

I know he wants to win games.  Losing games=losing his job.  Losing games=not qualifying for the World Cup.  And really, the World Cup is the reason soccer players play soccer.  There are a lot of good (GREAT) players in the United States.  It's up to the coach to put together the best team.  He has to decide if he is going to pick the top 24 "athletes" or the top 2 players at each of the 11 positions.  He needs to decide if he wants people with good attitudes, who try hard at practice, uplift their teammates, and follow his philosophies, or does he want the guys with the best stats, even if they are jerks, don't listen to him, and are too big headed to think they need to improve by working hard at practice.  He has to decide how the guys he picks will work together. 

We all have favorites, he must, too.  I always wondered what Jonny Bornstein was brought in for during last World Cup.  Was he just super fun to be around, was he a coach's pet, was he so good in practice....???  I have a kid on my team who I like a lot, yeah, above the rest.  He is always first to practice.  He always thanks me at the end.  He encourages the others.  He doesn't mess around at practice.  He always tries hard.  I bet if I got to pick an u 10 team, I'd put him on it!  Maybe some of the guys make the team because the coach likes them?!?!??  Maybe some guys DON'T make the team because he DOESN'T like them.  Maybe they don't listen, follow his plan, maybe they bad mouth him, or act bad back at the hotel, things we "fans" don't see. 

Well, I want the USMNT to win.  I want them to qualify for the World Cup.  I also want to watch my "favorites" play.  It's no fun rooting for jerkoids like Eddie Johnson. 

The USMNT roster was announced today and the coach snubbed Chris Wondolowski.  He is the MLS top scorer.  He scores goals.  He scores tap ins because he knows how to be in the right place at the right time.  He also scores headers, long shots, left foot shots, creates his own shots, goals off of pk's, corner kicks, free kicks, he has even CHESTED in a goal.  He just scores.  He's not "lucky", he is skilled and talented and works hard.  He deserves to play for his national team!  The coach said in a press release before the roster announcement that he was going to base his decision on how players are performing at a club level...but then he fails to choose the MLS MVP.  I don't get it! 

Another Earthquake, Alan Gordon, did make the team.  I'm thrilled for him, but still disappointed about Wondo's exclusion!  The coach brought in THREE injured guys...why?????  WHY??? 

I know that players ultimate goal in their soccer career is to play for the National team and ultimately play in the World Cup.....so there really is no "bright side" or "consolation", but, well, at least Chris wont get hurt while not playing in these two games....and I doubt he needs any "rest", but he'll get a week off by not being placed on the team, so I guess rest never really hurt anyone.  Some may think that the snubbing will motivate him....I guess, if it does, then that's good....but I just wish he could be on the team and show the US that he is more than that ONE time he skyed the ball over the crossbar in the Gold Cup, because, right now, that's what the haters remember! 

Go USA!  (but I wish it was a team made up of my "favorites"!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE leave comments!!!!!